Thursday, April 11, 2013

DONOR - Oh My!

On Tuesday John got a phone call from his care coordinator Rachael. She had 2 important things. One was that our insurance company agreed to cover John's transplant!!! First they said NO, so this is huge! Second thing was that she had a donor for the transplant. It is a worldwide registry so I have no idea where the person is from. She did say "he" at one point though. She requested blood samples from the top 6 matches. 5 were "unavailable" and one send his sample in. He was a perfect match in every way they want. It is super excting. BUT . . . super nerve wrecking!

When John told me I was so excited and happy. And then it hit me: Oh CRAP, "here we go again". I am so not ready for this again. I had a flood of emotions wash over me. It really is fabulous. We knew there would be a good match and we knew it was coming. But, now it is really here. Life has just been feeling a little normal again. John is feeling good and cancer is gone and we are all starting to adjust to our new normal. I knew the day was coming. We knew the plan is for him to go back for the donor transplant. It is just scary.

Every one is so supportive and so excited for us. But, I am freaking out. This will be 4-6 weeks in the hospital :( And the constant worry of Graft vs Host Disease (GVHD). Something we will have to watch for the rest of his life! AND - this is it. It works or it doesn't. So, although I am happy to have a match, I am also super scared. The current plan is for John to go back to the hospital of May 6. At least we have a few more weeks :)

1 comment:

  1. That is wonderful! Please let Russell and me know if there is anything we can do for you guys. ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete