Friday, March 1, 2013

Day 7 (or 11 days in Hospital)

This hospital thing is getting old :) Actually it isn't awful, just feels like the same thing over and over again and the days kind of blend together.  I can't imagine how it feels for John. I at least get to leave to the hospital and walk wherever I want to :)

John is doing ok. Yesterday was better than today. His nausea is kind of under control - well, better than it was. He is not throwing up as often as he used to, but still throws up most things that go in - including whole pills that never digest! Yesterday he had an ok amount of energy, we went on 3 walks, watched TV, played games and he was awake like all day :) Today he went on 2 short walks, we played a game. But he is having a really bad cramp in his lower left abdomen. They even did an xray to check it out because it is hurting SO bad. (he was so excited to leave the 8th floor and go somewhere else, even if it was still in the hospital). Xray was clear, so guess is it is probably gas. Kind of a wait and see situation. Because of that pain, his energy levels were quite low today. His white blood cell count is at 0 - it should stay here for a few days and then start to go up. When the numbers go up, he should start to feel a lot better. Still no mouth sores, and no infections. He does have one white spot of thrush in his mouth, but it could be worse. He has also not needed any transfusions yet and hoping he doesn't although that is really rare.

Another bit of news is that John's brother George has "passed" Stage 1 in the matching as a donor for John's allo transplant. Stage 2 has started and we should know early next week. If he is still a match at Stage 2, the he is a full match and can be the donor. His sister Christy was not a match at Stage 1 so she  does not move on to Stage 2 and is definitely not a match.

I am doing ok. I am tired and not sleeping very well at nights. I get up and get the kids ready each morning then my sisters take them to school. I finish getting ready and am usually at the hospital about 9:30 am. Our days are all pretty similar: A nurse or CNA is in about every hour to check on John, his PA comes in once or twice a day and a Dr. comes in once a day. A Dietician comes in once every couple of days, a social worker comes in once every few days, his care coordinator - Rachel, comes in once every other day or so, and he has another nurse who is kind of in charge of this stay and she comes in every few days. I try to get John to go on 3-4 walks a day, take a shower, I try to read to him every day, we watch a few episodes of "Lost" every day and usually play 1-2 games. John usually has a nap, I have a book I am reading and I am also constantly working on paperwork for medicaid disability and applying for food stamps and health insurance for Abby and I. Those are pretty much our days. I usually leave at 5:30 pm and get home around 6. John "could" be home late next week, but maybe not - we will see.

Grateful for sisters who have been here. They get kids to school, pick them up, help with homework and do dinner :) I like to be home for bedtime and to see the kids a little bit. Blair leaves tomorrow and then Emily comes Tuesday night. So I get a few days "on my own".

No comments:

Post a Comment