Sunday, November 4, 2012

Boy Scout Calling and cancer

I realized something today . . .

John's cancer was found when he hurt his should and went to the Dr. and ended up with an MRI, Which led to the orthopedist finding abnormalities in his bone marrow. We keep saying we are thankful for the shoulder injury. But, today I realized it goes deeper than that:

We moved into our new home and our new ward July 7. We did not know why THIS house or THIS neighborhood. I was dead set against it at first. But, once I walked in this house I knew it was mine :) In our church it is typical to have a "calling" or a way to serve in our congregation. John and I have both had callings with the little little kids, with bigger kids, with the youth, with the adults - we have both served everywhere and love serving. Shortly after we moved here John was asked to be the 11 year old Scout leader for our ward. He has never been in the scouts before and was not so sure about it. He is a great man though and will do whatever the Lord asks. Our Bishopric had a hard time deciding which calling for John as many people wanted John to work with them. They really debated and in the end they knew he needed to be in the Scouting program. John really struggled with this too, but came to understand the Lord needed him there. The Bishop even came over one night to talk to John about it and told him he did not know why the Lord needed him there, but he did.

Today I put 2 and 2 together. The Lord needed him in Scouts because that was where he would hurt his shoulder which would lead to finding out he has cancer. NOT necessarily because he needed to help those 11 year old boys. Because now John can NOT even work with those boys. It was all about a calling. The Lord knew when he hurt all those ribs he would not do anything about it, he knew he needed to hurt his shoulder.

I am so grateful for the gospel in my life and my understanding of our Lord's plan for each of us. The Lord knows all and he knows how to bless us and answer our prayers. We are SO happy to be here in this neighborhood. We have amazing neighbors and friends and feel so so blessed. We really miss our old neighborhood, but are super glad it is only 2 miles away and we have their support too.

Here is to hoping we have a somewhat "normal" week :) I just looked at my calendar and realized I do not have anything on my to do" list tomorrow (other than the typical, laundry, cooking, cleaning). Last time that happened John had a fever and pneumonia and ended up at the hospital. I think I will fill my day tomorrow real quick :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is some incredible hindsight, isn't it? The Lord knows where to put us because of so many reasons. I don't comment enough here on your blog but I read everything every time you post. I am amazed at what is going on and how you are handling it. I'm constantly praying for all of your and feel like this has been a spiritual journey for me as I get down on my knees and plead on behalf of your family.

    ReplyDelete