Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Abby's turn

At first John and I were most worried about Abby and how she would take her Dad having cancer. When we told everyone she was pretty calm and did not seem very upset. Later that night she said she was nervous about the unknown and she thinks she will really learn responsibility now :) She has been very helpful with the other kids and not showing much emotion. But, I know all the kids are sensing the stress of John and I. And several kids have been sick, including Abby. Her throat is so sore and she has very little voice.

This morning Abby got up late and was rushing to get ready. She isn't feeling great, but there was something else. I asked her what was wrong and she said, "I'm just stressed, tired and I don't feel good". She was supposed to be leaving for school in like 3 minutes - and we were driving car pool today. I finally sent John to pick up the other car pool kids and he said he would be back for her in 5 minutes. She was ready for school, but kind of distant. So, I went to talk to her and she just started crying and crying. I asked if she was worried about Dad and she said "kind of". So, I called John and told him to not come back for Abby, that I would take her later.

So, I have her home with me. She really doesn't feel well, but I know there is more to it. I think she needs a little break. So much of this process is reminding me of what I went through as a kid finding out my mom had ALS. Difference is ALS is terminal and no remission or cure of any sort. I just never thought my kids would have to go through what I went through. I figured I had had enough for all of us :)

This is just the beginning . . .

6 comments:

  1. Abby is such a Daddy's girl... they have always been close. I'm sure this is hard on her. Good job Mama, giving her some space to breathe and sort out her feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to figure out how to post a comment.....sorry this is new to me lol!

      Delete
  3. I'm sure it will be hard on ALL the kids.....just in different ways for each of them. We all seem to deal with fear, stress, and worry in our own unique ways. What a WONDERFUL mom to notice that, and let Abby stay to unwind a little without all the daily stresses hovering over. It's good to just take a break sometimes to re-charge a little. A good quiet nap can do wonders! Even though she may seem quiet, I'm sure her feelings will surface in her own time. Hope you are getting some rest too today. HUGS- Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the hospital offer any support groups for the family? It might help to get her around other kids that have similar questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't want to butt in exactly, but I was a young teen on 9/11. I took it hard while calm on the outside. I needed lots of sleep, lots of journal time, and lots of external peace to help me sort out the turmoil inside. You are and AWESOME mom to know to honor what she says she needs, and to notice what she doesn't say. Hope I helped...

    ReplyDelete