Tuesday, October 23, 2012

He is HOME!

YAY! We are so happy to have John home. The hospital had to wait until his white blood cells were at a certain level. And then on Sunday his phosphorous levels were low so they put him on a drip for that. Sunday morning I took the kids to church. It was such a busy marathon of a day. Then we came home and Abby grabbed something to eat and then ran back to church for choir practice (I am SO glad the church is literally right across the street). Then I fed the other kids quick and took Jenna back for her baptismal interview with our Bishop. Then we all went to our old ward. Some friends; Tammy and Olivia were singing "I Know the my Redeemer Lives" for John. And since he was still in the hospital I took all the kids and voice recorded it. They did amazing and I cried the whole song, the spirit was so strong. We snuck out after the song so I could take the kids to the hospital (at this point we still weren't sure when John was coming home). We we left the chapel, several people followed me out to give me a hug and asked me to tell John he is in their prayers. I just couldn't stop crying.

I take the kids to the hospital and John was feeling fine and said he could go home in a few hours. My good friend from high schools husband was working as a PA Sunday. So Danielle went to work with him that day. When we got there it was so good to see them. Jim came in after his shift and showed John all his images from his x rays and bone scans. Since Jim knew us, he said he would show John anything he wanted after his shift. It was so nice of him. He spent about 2 hours with John. Danielle and I took the kids outside and let them run around for a while.  Then I took the kids home and Jeff and Rachelle met me at the house. They watched the kids and did dinner with them so I could go get John.

John was almost ready when I got back and we loaded up and left. We stopped at a pharmacy to drop off prescriptions and came HOME!!! Kids were so excited to see him and John was now so exhausted. Luckily it was still before bed time so the kids got to see him. I got the kids in bed and Jeff went and picked up the prescriptions for us. (Right now he "only" has 7 - but 4 are for as needed side effects).

He has to go in to the outpatient clinic at the hospital every 4 days for about 2 hours for chemo and blood work. John rested yesterday and was just low energy. He is feeling ok, except for his hurt ribs. He has 6 broken or cracked ribs and that makes it hard for him to sleep. He still has not had any naseau and we are hoping he doesn't. No hair loss - yet! he may or may not. His hiccups are gone but he has not been taking the steroids - he takes them again on days 8-11 of his cycle. John made it in to work today - got there about 10:30. We will see if he can work the rest of the day. He did not have much energy, but luckily all he has to do is sit and talk on the phone.

I am really trying to get into a normal routine of life with a husband with cancer :) It is so nice when I can pick up kids from school and John can work and we can eat dinner as a family :) Until John has a stem cell transplant, everything is out patient now. Unless he gets anemic, a fever or an infection.

I am doing ok. Frustrated that I can't do everything. Michael had a volcano school project due yesterday that we had totally forgotten about :( And last night Abby was up super late working on a science project that is due today. I forget when bath nights are and life is flying by. One of these days I will figure it out. But, for now I am SUPER grateful for everyones help and the dinners that have constantly been coming in :)

No comments:

Post a Comment