Saturday, October 20, 2012

Going home one of these days . . .

AHHH - still at the hospital. Day 5! John is feeling fine, but just wants out of here. I can't imagine if this was for 4 weeks (although it will be when he has his stem cell transplant).  He has been doing fine on the chemo. I think his worst side effect is the hiccups :) It can last for hours. I am getting into an odd routine of getting the kids up and getting us all ready. Then kids to school or a friends house and then I come to the hospital and stay till 3-4 pm each day. John usually showers when I get here, and we go for a walk. I try to bring him real home cooked food for lunch/dinner, we play games, go for a wak and then it is time for me to go home. In between all of this there is typically several visits from the Nurse, the CNA, occasionally the PA, the Dr. once a day, social wokers, John's coordinatior, phlebotomist and that's all I can think of for now.

John started chemo Wednesday night. Dr. wanted to monitor for 4 days or until his white blood cell count goes down to a certain level. Still waiting for that. It is going down though, so now the hope is he  can go home tomorrow. It will be nice to get some normalitiy to life. John should be able to work, although he will have to come to the hospital every 4 days for an IV chemo treatment and blood work.

We have a busy week next week with family and friends coming into town for Jenna's baptism on Saturday. We are all looking forward to that. John should be able to baptize her and confirm her. But I have told him he has to leave and go home and can not stay to socialize at all :) With his white blood cell count coming down he has to be EXTRA careful about germs.

Well, that is an update for now. I am doing good and feeling ok. It is just hard and it sucks, but we will make it through this. We are amazed daily by the love, support, prayers, fasting and help we constantly recieve. Thank you every one for everything. Time to take John on a walk.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Noelle! So good to hear this! I've been down in Manti at my mom's for the past 2 days throwing a baby shower for my little sister.....I've been so antsy to check on you and hear updates! Reading this makes me smile! Hope John will be able to come home SOON...and hopefull tomorrow!!! Sending hugs your way!!!

    ReplyDelete