Wednesday, October 31, 2012

PICC line

I have no idea what PICC stands for (and I could look it up, but don't feel like it :) ), I do know what it does and what it looks like though. So, after many many failed attempts at trying to get an IV in John for 2 days, it was finally time for John to get a PICC line. It is a more permanent IV, that goes in his arm and a catheter is fed through the vein up to the main artery by the heart. He has 15 inches of catheter running through him. He said it really hurt getting it in, but it is SO nice. There was NO problem getting his antibiotic in him last night. And the hospital can also draw blood from it. It should last 2 - 3 months?? I have no idea how they know when it is done.  Still, one day at a time, and today it is working.

John had a good day yesterday. Stayed home and relaxed until it was time to go to the hospital and get the PICC line in. He also had blood work and a chest xray. He came home and we got to celebrate another birthday yesterday - it was Michael's 11th birthday. John had an ok amount of energy and was feeling pretty good. This morning he got up and ready and went to work. He said he feels good today too. It could be because we are half way through this cycle and there is less medicine he is taking. The first 2 weeks, is crazy with all the meds. If he still feels good, he might even go trick or treating with us tonight - we will see.

I am doing ok. Sometimes I still can not believe my husband has cancer!!! It still feels pretty surreal. It happened so fast and all my days are blending together. I never know what day it is any more - Michael's birthday totally snuck up on me (good thing I had actually birthday shopped over a month ago). I wake up each morning and realize I am not having a nightmare and get moving with my day.  It is HARD! But, I don't have a choice. It is hard to try and keep life somewhat "normal" for the kids, and it is hard to get enough sleep. It is hard to watch John in pain, it is hard to stay on top of house work, it is hard to plan anything, it is just hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment