Thursday, October 4, 2012

AHHHHHHHH!

John and I met with Dr. Frame today. He is our Oncologist. We liked him. He is pretty sure that John has chronic lymphocytic leukemia. We are in for a fight and it won't be easy. It is possible it has spread to some of his organs.  I sat in that office pretty much knowing John has leukemia, but I think hearing it, it feels different. I am glad to know and to be moving forward and full force, here we come.

Next week John has a bone marrow biopsy, a bone scan, an xray, a CT scan and more blood work.  Then Monday, Oct. 15 is his first day of chemo. He will have 3 days on 25 days off for about 6 months. In a few months the Dr. wants to do a bone marrow transplant. I can't believe I am saying all these things. I am kind of in shock. He has a good chance of fighting this, but it will be a fight and a long one. It can take 1- 2 years to get it under control.  It can be "cured" in a way, can also live decades with it totally under control. First step is to start fighting.

John went back to work after his appt to talk to his boss and his HR. We need to see what they have for disability. His 3 chemo days each month are definite chemo days and he won't be able to do anything else.  Then usually he will be pretty weak and sick for another week or two. Then he might have 1 or 2 weeks each month he could work. We won't know until we start.

Right now I am totally overwhelmed with all the appointments and picturing how our lives are changing. I know it will be ok. We are fighters and have no choice but to fight. We will tell the kids tomorrow. We are worried Abby will have the hardest time with it. I am going to really need her help. We have great kids though and they will be fine.

Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment